Königliche Porzellan-Manufaktur Berlin (KPM), Johann Heinrich Strack (1805-1880), Friedrich Wilhelm Völker (1798-1870)
The Munich vase №2 with two handles
Height 59.3 cm
Porcelain, bronze, underglaze painting, gilding, casting.
The so-called form of the «Munich vase» originated in Bavaria at the porcelain factory in Nymphenburg, where it was first manufactured in 1822 by the architect Friedrich von Gertner (1791-1847). The Bavarian court sent an example as a wedding gift, decorated with cameo portraits of their daughter Princess Elizabeth Louis (1801-1873) and Frederick William (then Crown Prince of Prussia). This wedding gift vase served as a model for the Berlin porcelain factory, where it was produced since 1829 in four sizes, the size of this vase is the second largest. The model became the standard for diplomatic gifts from the House of Prussia, and a total of 137 vases of this form are recorded in the King’s Book of Accounts, issued between 1829 and 1850. The King of Prussia began the journal in 1811 to record royal gifts given to members of his family (and their valuables), as well as foreign heads of state and dignitaries.